If there’s one thing that instantly enhances the curb appeal of your home, it’s a wooden garage door. A sophisticated addition to your home, the wooden garage doors come in a myriad of shapes, sizes, and styles. While they make your heart go for them in the blink of an eye, there are a lot of things that need to be considered before buying garage doors made of wood. This guide will give you a tour of the pros and cons of the wooden garage doors.
Choosing a wooden garage door is the best deal for your home. Here’s why:
- There’s no doubt about the beauty of the garage doors made of wood. They add an eye-pleasing appeal to the front of your house. People will never get tired of appreciating this choice of yours for their lifetime.
- The shapes and sizes available in the wooden garage doors are plenty. You name it and you get it.
- Yet another compelling factor is the wide variety of wood finishes available. You can choose from a lot of options.
- Wooden garage doors insulate the door from the elements.
Excellent choices have some downsides as well. Wooden garage doors are not an appropriate pick for every home. Here are some points that show why considering a wooden garage door for your home is not a good decision to take:
- Maintenance of wooden garage doors is a must. They are well-maintained with Vinyl or composite material.
- Wood expands and contracts hence it is less durable as compared to other materials. It warps and cracks with time.
- You have to look for a garage door opener repair service near you as wooden garage doors make openers wear out quickly owing to their heavyweight.
- As wooden garage doors come in a wide variety of shapes, sizes, and designs, they are highly expensive.
Finish options available for wooden garage doors
The finish on the wooden doors makes them appealing and that’s one of the main reasons why buyers go for it without thinking twice. Wooden garage doors can be painted and stained. Wood species like Douglas Fir look beautiful when they get stained and species such as Red Grandis hold paint well.
Finish options available for wooden garage doors are:
- Faux Stain
Keep a note that brighter shades on wooden garage doors ask for more maintenance than the lighter ones as they tend to fade faster, especially if direct sunlight comes.
How to maintain a wooden garage door?
By now you must have understood that maintaining a wooden garage door is not a piece of cake. Sun, wind, and water exposure can drastically diminish the lifespan of the garage door. Your wooden garage door’s topcoat will be gone over time. Therefore, periodic maintenance of the wooden garage door is necessary if you want to retain its beauty. An annual top coating of the garage door can save a lot of your money.
To clean your garage door regularly, use a mild cleaner and a soft cloth. Use a garden hose or a low-pressure sprayer on the door. Never water through a pressure washer to wash your wooden garage door.
Wooden garage doors are high-maintenance, therefore the need for small repairs or perhaps big would certainly come over time. Call Garage Door Repairs Houston and get them all fixed. Our qualified team of technicians would inspect your garage door and tell you the necessary revisions needed in it.